Sarah Gibbs is a #MINDRMAMA of two and a public policy expert living with her family in Raleigh, North Carolina. Although she misses her former New York life, she’s loving exploring her new home in NC with her two littles.
This Mother’s Day, we are so thankful for those who continue to lift us up in our journey of motherhood and work to improve the lives of mamas in need. In honor of all moms, we are highlighting five of our favorite organizations that are focused on making things better for women, mothers, and families worldwide. So if you are still looking for a meaningful gift for the Supermom in your life, or just want to spread some Mother’s Day love to those who could use it the most, here are some amazing charities to check out.
- Family Reach is providing a financial lifeline to families fighting cancer. For more than two decades, Family Reach has helped families with cancer manage the overwhelming financial and emotional barriers of the disease. One in three parents stop working when a child is diagnosed with cancer. Family Reach programs ensure that parents who are balancing this lost income with increased expenses never have to choose between keeping a roof over their family's heads or putting food on the table while their child is in cancer treatment. Working in close collaboration with a network of more than 300 hospitals and cancer centers nationwide, Family Reach provides immediate financial assistance, education and outreach to families in need. Donate here.
- NYC Mammas Give Back is providing infant essentials and support to homeless pregnant women and new families in need: NYC Mammas Give Back is a way for all moms in the New York City area to support other moms and families in need. The organization is made up entirely of moms who volunteer their time to this cause, regularly collecting, sorting and delivering a variety of new and gently used baby items for families and children (ages 0-5) who are living at or below the poverty line. They also provide self-care services to the women they serve as well as baby showers and holiday events held in conjunction with partner agencies across NYC. Head here to give back.
- The New York Women’s Foundation is working to create economic security and justice for women and families across New York City: For more than 30 years, The New York Women’s Foundation (NYWF) has served as a voice for women and a force for change. NYWF is a cross-cultural alliance of women that focuses on catalyzing partnerships and leveraging human and financial capital to invest in bold, community-led solutions across the city. Having distributed $7.6 million in 2016, NYWF’s grantmaking places it at the top women’s foundations in the US, and second in the world. They invest in organizations and leaders that strive for justice, economic security, safety, and health for women and families. They prioritize organizations that promote women’s leadership, gender equity, and asset-based community approaches. Support their work here.
- Maternity Worldwide provides access to high quality maternal health care for women and girls in low income countries: Maternity Worldwide envisions a world where all women and their babies can access safe and appropriate childbirth regardless of where they live. Every year across the world 287,000 women die in pregnancy and childbirth. That’s one mother dying every 2 minutes, or 800 each day. The saddest part is that most of these lives could be saved relatively easily with the right support. Maternity Worldwide works to address each of the delays women face when accessing safe and appropriate healthcare during pregnancy and childbirth. Help to lift them up here.
- Every Mother Counts is dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother, everywhere: Launched in 2010, Every Mother Counts (EMC) works to heighten awareness about the global maternal health crisis. They emphasize that up to 98% of maternal deaths are preventable. While advocacy remains a key focus, the organization has evolved into a 501(c)(3) investing in programs around the world to ensure all women have access to quality maternal healthcare. EMC educates the public about maternal health, engages individuals to advocate for the well-being of mothers, and invests in community-led programs to improve access to essential maternity care. Head here to support.
Know of other amazing organizations who are hustling hard to make things better for all mamas? Drop them in the comments so we can all show them the love they deserve.